Abstract

Demographic Factors Associated With Successful Telehealth Visits in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients

Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2022 Mar 2;28(3):358-363. doi: 10.1093/ibd/izab068.

Kaustav P Shah 1Austin J Triana 1Roman E Gusdorf 1Allison B McCoy 2Baldeep Pabla 3Elizabeth Scoville 3Robin Dalal 3Dawn B Beaulieu 3David A Schwartz 3Michelle L Griffith 4Sara N Horst 3

 
     

Author information

1Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

2Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Bioinformatics, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

3Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

4Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.

Abstract

Background: This study evaluated synchronous audiovisual telehealth and audio-only visits for patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to determine frequency of successful telehealth visits and determine what factors increase the likelihood of completion.

Methods: Data were collected from March to July 2020 in a tertiary care adult IBD clinic that was transitioned to a fully telehealth model. A protocol for telehealth was implemented. A retrospective analysis was performed using electronic medical record (EMR) data. All patients were scheduled for video telehealth. If this failed, providers attempted to conduct the visit as audio only.

Results: Between March and July 2020, 2571 telehealth visits were scheduled for adult patients with IBD. Of these, 2498 (99%) were successfully completed by video or phone. Sixty percent were female, and the median age was 41 years. Eighty six percent of the population was white, 8% black, 2% other, and 4% were missing. Seventy-five percent had commercial insurance, 15% had Medicare, 5% had Medicaid, and 5% had other insurance. No significant factors were found for an attempted but completely failed visit. Using a multivariate logistic regression model, increasing age (odds ratio, 1.80; 95% CI, 1.55-2.08; P < 0.05), noncommercial insurance status (odds ratio, 1.89; 95% CI, 1.61-2.21; P < 0.05), and black race (odds ratio, 2.07; 95% CI, 1.38-3.08; P < 0.05) increased the likelihood of a video encounter failure.

Conclusions: There is a high success rate for telehealth within an IBD population with defined clinic protocols. Certain patient characteristics such as age, race, and health insurance type increase the risk of failure of a video visit.

© Copyright 2013-2022 GI Health Foundation. All rights reserved.
This site is maintained as an educational resource for US healthcare providers only. Use of this website is governed by the GIHF terms of use and privacy statement.